Fly High

Hello!
I hope I find you all well!
We have some gorgeous cut files to work with this month and I was immediately drawn to the Butterfly Background 3 design. I love the way the butterflies seem to almost flourish around and off the page. 


I cut two copies of the cut file, I used one for the base of my butterfly cluster whereas I cut out the inside of the wings of the butterflies of the second copy. 
Here you have a closer look at how I did this.

 

I decided that I wanted a lot of layers to make up the butterflies, so I traced around the butterflies and cut out each butterfly from a different patterned paper from the Jen Hadfield, Patio Party collection. This gave the butterflies three layers, however I wanted to tone down the bright colors of the patterned paper butterflies a bit, so I backed the top layer of the butterfly cut file with some tracing paper, and that gave the perfect hazy look I wanted to create. 
Here you can see the all the layers.


The tracing paper tones down all the colors a lot so I had to add some color to the background, and what better way to do this than with some Heidi Swapp Color shine! I used the Hot pink and the Butter, and basically just sprayed it straight onto the background paper, this added just the right amounts f color in the right spots. 
To bring in some more color, I dug through the Patio Party ephemera pack and knew straight away that I wanted to use those beautiful florals. I also did some fussy cutting from one of the patterned papers to add to the floral clusters. 
I first had the idea that I wanted my title to be, 'Fly my pretty!', but then I didn't have enough of those gold thickers, so I changed the title to 'Fly High'.
Oh, and before I forget, I did some hand stitching through the centers of the butterflies, I thought that they needed a spot of pink!
Here is the final layout. 


I hope that you find inspiration and make the cut files work for you, like I did with this beautiful one! By using my craft knife and cutting out the centers of the butterfly wings I made the cut file my own and I loved the effect that the tracing paper gives.


Enjoy!
 

No comments: